Department of Zoology
Dr. Smitha N.R
Assistant Professor & Head department of Zoology
Dr Manju V Subramanian
MSc, Ph D, BEd, SET, Certificate in Web designing
Vineeth Kumar T V
1. Development of an Advanced Fuzzy-Logic based Disease Model for Dengue along with Framework for Geospacial Public Health network
The Center for Advancement of Global Health (CAGH) signed an MOU with The Cochin College to enable the students of the department of Zoology to undertake academic projects as part of their curriculum in relation to the topics which aims to develop a mathematical model for predicting the distribution of the Aedes mosquito (carrier of dengue viral infection) within a community.
The college would serve as a nodal centre helping in the implementation and monitoring of the academic project of students needed for the completion of the data collection involved in the study. CAGH has been awarded a 2-year project from Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. It is an operational arm of the Society for Advancement of Global Health (SAGH) a charitable society registered with the government of Kerala. CAGH aims to improve public health though sharing knowledge and using IT in common sense ways to save resources and strengthen the public health system. CAGH has support and collaborations with academicians and scientists from around the world, and is particularly interested in supporting young people by providing useful opportunities for hands-on work and volunteering.
- World Environment Day Celebration 2017, sponsored by KSCSTE Trivandrum, 16 June 2017: Workshop, Exhibition cum sale of upcycled products by Plan@earth, Invited Talk by Firoz Ahammed A, Conchologist and Intercollegiate Competitions.
- Celebrated World environment Day: planted a neem in the Zoology garden by Principal and Alumni: 6 june 2016
- Farewell to our dear Anilchettan (lab assistant): 22 July 2016
- Felicitation for the pass out batch (2013-16): 22 July 2016
- Orientation Day for freshers and parents: 'Coping with Adolscence problems' Dr A K Prema, Former Head, Dept of Zoology, The Cochi College: 27 July 2016
- International Tiger day celebration in association with Social Forestry Division, Ernakulam: Competions for school students and Invited Lecture: 29 July 2016
- Invited Lecture'Management of Gaint African Snail Invasion In Kerala': Dr T V Sajeev, Senior Scientist, KFRI, Peechi, Thrissur - 9 August 2016
- National Deworming Day: Zoology Department, Nature club and NSS in association with State Heath Department observed the National Deworming Day by distributing Albendazole-400mg tablets for students under 19 years of age on 10 August 2016
- Ozone Day Celebrations 2016: The Department of Zoology in association with Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment, Trivandrum, organized an intercollegiate power point and poster designing competitions as a part of ‘Ozone Day’ celebrations on 29th Sept 2016. Dr V Kripa, Principal Scientist, CMFRI, Cochin, delivered an invited lecture on the topic “Restoring our Ozone umbrella: Together we did”.
- Nature Camp 15 Oct 2016: first year UG and PG students attended the camp at Athirapilly- Vazhachal
- 17th All Kerala Millenium Zoology Student Project Award, 5th Jan 2017: Our two student projects were awarded first (Farzana P B) and third positions (Anju V M).
- International Symposium, 12 Jan 2017: The Department of Zoology in collaboration with Centre for Advancement of Global Health (CAGH) and Department of Zoology, St Xavier s Collge, Aluva organised an International Symposium on ' Dengue Prediction and Prevention through Community Engagement ' on 12th Jan 2017 at Hotel Olive Downtown, Kadavanthara, Cochin.
- Newsletter release 2016-17, 13 Jan 2017: Prof Jitendra Shah, IIT Bombay, released the newsletter: Xancus 2016
- Invited Lecture, 13 jan 2017: Prof Jitendra Shah, IIT Bombay, delivered a lecture on the topic GIS (Geographic information System and Biodiversity Mapping
- Succesfully completed the certificate couse of first batch of the ADD-ON program: 10 March 2017
- Release of Student's manuscript magazine and Science file 2016-17: 15 March 2017
- Felicitation for Millenium Zoology project Award Winners: 15 March 2017
- Motivation class for First year and Second Year Students, 15 March 2017: How to cope with exam stress??? how to score high in exams??? - Dr A K Prema.